Matthew 8: 26-27
Then Jesus got up and rebuked the winds and the sea,
And there was a great and wonderful calm.
And they were stunned with bewildered wonder and marveled, saying,
What kind of Man is this that even the winds and the sea obey!
It was 5 weeks ago yesterday that a tumor was found in my abdomen. There have been so many questions. The ride has definately been equivilent to being in a boat and tossed in the ocean.
As we had 2 doctor appointments this week, one on Tuesday and one on Thursday, Darcy and I decided to spend some time at the beach in between appointments.
In the future, I look forward to sharing the pictures that our camera captured with you of the full rainbow over the ocean that God gave to us while there on Wednesday. Pictures were taken right from our room at the water's edge. The sky behind the rainbow on the horizon was full of the darkest of storm clouds. As the colorful light illuminated the whole sky in front of the dark clouds, we noticed a large rock, like a table in the water, being splashed with the white crashing of waves just under the rainbow's right end...as though it were a pot of gold. God's Spirit spoke. He said, "Do not doubt me or my Word or the Rock that you rest upon; that you stand upon." Jesus, the fullfilment of God's Promises! More of that story later...
We witnessed a miracle on thursday!
Tuesday's appointment with the Radiologists confirmed what we had been told and more:
1.
A very rare maligment cancer tumor was removed from my abdomen
through surgery January 27, 2011.
A Malignant Fibroid Tumor/Spindle Type
2.
Only 19 cases known, world wide, taken from the abdomen.
I am #20.
3.
A wide panel of Oncologists, Surgeon Oncologists, Pathologists, Radiologists,
Medical Oncologists and Rare Cancer Specialists in Pathology
are making a case together for best treatment.
I am currently seeing 6 of these in the NW.
3.
This type of cancer is believed to spread or come back,
especially if the margin is negitive.
4.
The pathology report from the specialists in Washington DC
came back that the margin of the tumor removed from my abdomen was negitive. We are learning about the margin and how it is determined. What we understand is that it is rolled in ink, frozen and sliced and studied under a microscope. If dividing cells (spreading cells) are near the outer walls or in the stem cut from surgery, it is declared a negitive margin.
5.
There were 5 points touching, meaning the tumor touched 5 areas of organs
or soft tissue. Because of a negitive margin report, a second surgery was suggested for biopsies in satalite areas (organs/soft tissue surrounding) to see if cancer had spread. Also, they planned to take more from where the stem was removed to see if it was possible to get a clear margin.
6.
Questions were still being discussed as to where the negitive margin was. Was it in the stem of the tumor only or on the other areas of the tumor walls? If so, how would it be determined what organs and where, were in contact with the tumor? They would explore in surgery, remove anything suspicious and leave a tiny metel clip for radiation if areas were found.
7.
We learned that this form of cancer does not show up in blood tests. Only through imagery and x-rays would we see if there were more. Also, in the future, imagery was required to keep tabs on possible regrowth.
8.
We were told that this form of cancer did not respond to chemo. Radiation was a strong possiblity, especially because it was not a clear margin. Doctor mentioned that surgery may give us a possible clear margin at the stem. We would discuss radiation later, after surgery. Still many questions and under study.
9.
We were to see another Oncologist Surgeon Thursday.
Thursdays appointment lasted for over 3 hours, but it was worth it! Darcy and I spent much time alone in the room waiting because of the phone conferences taking place on my behalf. New evidence had been revealed since Tuesday and the pathologists report from Washington DC had been changed! It went from negitive to clear! Suddenly I was given a clear margin! What?
I knew it was true. Still we waited until my doctor called to confirm what the panel was saying before sharing the news. Were they convinced? What was next? (are we done?)
My doctor suggested I stay "fluid". To let things ride a bit...continue to see the other doctors. She said that she wanted them to know me and my case because of how rare this was and she understood that it made things complicated.
So here we are...
There is imaging to do. Yes, patience required. But, we witnessed a miracle!
I believe with all my heart that Jesus stopped the storm. I will never be the same. Who is this Man that even the winds and the sea obey?
I want to leave you with this thought. Are you waiting for a report? Whose report will you believe? Will you beleive what you see or will you believe what you know He has spoken to your heart? Read Numbers 13 & 14 and be encouraged. Our days are numbered by the Lord. His word tells us so. So in life and in death...He is life! Let every breath praise Him!
Karen- thank you for this encouraging update. It was perfect timing that I read it today. I will keep you in my prayers. :)
ReplyDeleteAngie
I am crying with happiness and joy as I read this and of course not a doubt in my mind. Karen, you witness with such grace as you ride this storm! You have no idea how your words have touched my struggles this week as well. He holds you in His palm and you allow His light to shine so brightly!! So much love for you and Darcy!
ReplyDeleteAubrey
What an amazing Testimony of Gods faithful love. Your words gave me goosebumps, and ran the computer to David to read it too. I know that no matter what Gods faithfulness to us is undying no matter the circumstances.
ReplyDeleteKaren I just learned of this now. Here you've been going through all this and I knew nothing of it (not blaming anyone, just saying) and it is wonderful to hear that our Faithful Father has had you tucked away in the Secret Place, and interceding for you all the while. I love you and so happy to hear the good report!
ReplyDeleteAmen and AMEN....calling things that are not as though they ARE!
ReplyDeleteWhat the doctors first told you was in the earthly realm, the end report was HIS will being done on earth as it is ALREADY in heaven!
You are a vessel of gold, refined by fire, being used for God's glory and noble purposes, that we may all gaze upon his beauty, that is the work of the Lord.
2 Timothy 2:20In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for noble purposes and some for ignoble. 21If a man cleanses himself from the latter, he will be an instrument for noble purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work.
Thank you for allowing us to be partakers in His glorious power through you...his vessel.
xoxo ~ Lanette
Karen,
ReplyDeleteI just read this - and like Charlene, I had no idea that this was all happening in your life...I felt drawn to read it - and the testimony of words stirred me greatly towards remembering you in prayer - but also towards the great inspiration and encouragement that are contained within them. Wonderfully written from the tender and gentle place that He has gifted you with - I hope to read more in the weeks to come...Prayers....Cheryl
HE is a most wonderful and faithful God.
ReplyDeleteKaren, I read your previous post and blog last week...and now only a week later and your news is a fabulous testimony and your journey...oh where oh where will HE take you?
Your description of the sweet picture (via nature) at the beach...beautiful, amazing is His grace
love,
Julie
Karen, you are in my prayers... negative margins or not, God is still bigger, and He holds your precious life in his hands. I know this can't be an easy time for you, and I pray new blessings every morning over you all.
ReplyDelete